Thursday, December 2, 2010

Superhero

The best thing about having done and won NaNoWriMo is that it has really made me think I can do anything. I mean, yes, it was a silly goal: write a book in a month. But it took serious dedication to sit my ass down every night and come up with those 1667 words. Sometimes I stopped halfway through, sometimes I went above and beyond, but on November 30, I had my 50,000+ words.

The whole process of writing--having a plan, the elation, the setbacks, ignoring my inner editor in pursuit of that incredible 50,000-word goal, and NOT having it suck--has really made me rethink my attitude in some other aspects of my life. It's like, "Okay, I've written a novel--a thesis shouldn't be a problem at all."

It's also given me some insight into my writing: namely, planning is actually kind of important if I ever want to finish anything. But that's true of all life.

This month I will be devoting my energies to plotting out a how-to-create-an-apocalypse novel, while painting another mushroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment